FIRST™ Robotics Competition – Grades 9-12
Dubbed a varsity Sport for the Mind,™ FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) combines the excitement of sport with the rigors of science and technology. Under strict rules, limited resources, and time limits, teams of 25 students or more are challenged to raise funds, design a team “brand,” hone teamwork skills, and build and program a robot to perform prescribed tasks against a field of competitors. It’s as close to “real world” engineering as a student can get. Professional Mentors volunteer their time and talents to guide each team.
Robots are built in 6 weeks from a common kit of parts provided by FIRST, and typically weigh up to 150 lbs.
High-school students get to:
- Work alongside professional engineers.
- Build and compete with a robot of their own design.
- Learn and use sophisticated hardware and software.
- Develop design, project management, programming, teamwork, and strategic thinking skills.
- Earn a place in the Championship.
- Qualify for over $18 million in college scholarships
THE 2019 GAME CHALLENGE
- GAME CHALLENGE RELEASED: January 5, 2019
- STOP BUILD DAY: February 19, 2019
- 12 FRC REGIONAL EVENTS IN CALIFORNIA: February 27 – April 6, 2019