FIRST Robotics Competition
CENTRAL VALLEY REGIONAL
Mar 9-12, 2023 | Fresno, CA
FRESNO CONVENTION CENTER | 848 M St.
The Central Valley Regional
Dubbed a varsity Sport for the Mind,™ FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) combines the excitement of sport with the rigors of science and technology.
Under strict rules, limited resources, and time limits, teams of high school students are challenged to raise funds, design a team “brand,” hone teamwork skills, and build and program a robot to go head to head against a field of competitors. It’s as close to “real world” engineering as a student can get.
Join the Fun!
The Central Valley Regional is a high-energy, high-tech spectator sporting event where teams, professionals and young people together solve an engineering design problem in an intense and competitive way. The program is life-changing, career-molding and a lot of fun.
Spectators welcome! Catch the excitement of this intense competition, tour the pits to visit with teams and robots, and cheer on their favorite teams. Admission is free.
Teams at the Central Valley Regional will vie for regional awards and a spot at the FIRST Championship which will be help in April in Houston, Texas. The competition is part of FIRST, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to inspire young people’s interest and participation in science and technology.
Central Valley Regional Recap
Congratulations to ALL Teams, Mentors, Volunteers, Sponsors, Friends and Family members who participated in the Central Valley Regional and helped to create an exciting and memorable weekend. What a show! The following teams and individuals earned top honors at the...
FIRST ENERGIZE presented by Qualcomm
This is the moment to get energized to innovate. From the machines that move us to the food that sustains us to the wireless technologies that connect us, energy plays an essential role in keeping our world running. During our 2022-2023 robotics season, FIRST® ENERGIZE℠ presented by Qualcomm, our teams will reimagine the future of sustainable energy and power their ideas forward. Innovation can’t wait.
Resources for Teams
March 1, 2023 –
COVID Policy and Event Entry:
The event will be open to the public this year, and we do not plan to have any COVID restrictions. Masks are absolutely welcome, and teams and spectators should feel perfectly comfortable choosing to wear them.
September 9, 2022 – We are continuing to monitor local public health conditions and are developing plans on how to best support FIRST events across all programs for the 2022 – 2023 Season. This includes the ability to implement modifications such as the use of masks, health screening, event scaling, social distancing, event formatting, and other precautions as determined by local conditions and regulations.
Providing opportunities for hands-on learning and recognizing our teams’ incredible accomplishments are key elements to the lasting impact of FIRST. We remain committed to deliver our programs to as many students as possible, as safely as possible.
This space will be updated with more details as the season progresses.
We thank you for your continued support for our mission as we navigate the season together!
The Fresno Convention Center is located at 848 M St in the city of Fresno, California.
The map below shows the many parking lots around the venue. View the full PDF to see cost information. Teams should make arrangements with their hotel to store any trailers for parking. There will not be any overnight trailer storage at the venue. View PDF with Pricing
Please read the following restrictions and adhere to them in order to promote an orderly, safe, pleasant, and exciting competition. As a group, we all should honor agreements with the venue and help promote the spirit of good partnership.
- Do not use skateboards or ‘hoverboards’. This is a safety concern.
- Do not use drones. This is a safety concern.
- Do not bring bottled gas tanks (e.g. helium). This is a safety concern.
- Do not use noisy devices, such as floor stompers, whistles and/or air horns.
- Do not arrange for Internet access or phone lines from venue service providers or attempt to use venue internet connections reserved for event purposes (e.g., FMS or streaming).
- Do not sell any products. This includes food, hats, shirts or any promotional products.
- Do not distribute any food products, such as candy, water, soft drinks or fruit.
- Do not sell raffle tickets.
- Do not use walkie-talkies.
- Do not invite or bring live bands to play in the audience. This dilutes the presentation on the playing field and is too loud and confusing for the audience.
- Do not play loud music in the Pit because it interferes with important announcements. If a team receives more than a warning or two, the power to the team Pit will be shut off and/or the music device confiscated.
- Do not form “tunnels” during the Awards Ceremony. This can cause discomfort to those traveling through them and creates safety issues.
- Do not save seats.
2023 Housing information:
Unfortunately the Fresno Convention Center does not allow outside food to be brought in. With rain forecast for the weekend, the parking garage managers have granted teams permission to “tailgate” on the 4th floor of the parking garage. Management will be providing additional trash cans up there so please make sure your teams leave the space clean when they are finished.
See below for dining options in the area.
Downtown Fresno Dining Map (and more!)
This page will be updated soon!
January 7, 2023: Madera Kickoff
8am – noon
Matilda Torres High School
16645 Rd 26
Madera, CA 93637 USA
Thank You To Our Partners
WAYS TO SPONSOR
SUPPORT THE CENTRAL VALLEY REGIONAL
To discuss sponsorship opportunities and benefits of sponsorship, please contact your Regional Director, Janet McKinley, or fill out the Contact Form below.
For 30 years, FIRST® volunteers have fueled the mission by inspiring millions of young people to reach for the stars. You are part of a global support system we’ve built for students who need a spark of curiosity and encouragement to launch their dreams. Together, we’re inspiring the next generation of innovators, technology leaders, and change-makers here on Earth – and beyond.
Non-Technical and Technical Roles Available
EXAMPLES OF ROLES
APPLY TO VOLUNTEER
- Create an account in the FIRST Dashboard – click here to apply.
- Click the Volunteer Registration tab & choose ‘Volunteer at an Event’.
- Filter events by location/ program and select Central Valley Regional.
- Choose up to five roles and apply.
- Complete your required youth protection background screening (US & Canada).
You will receive an email from your local event coordinator if you are assigned to a volunteer role.
CENTRAL VALLEY REGIONAL SOCIAL MEDIA