Remote Volunteer Opportunities
FIRST LEGO League
FLL JUDGE – Remote Volunteer Opportunity
Judges for FIRST LEGO League tournaments select team award recipients through interaction with teams remotely and serve as role models for the students.
For the 2021 RePLAY Season, volunteers can sign up for one or more of the following components:
- Innovation Project Judge
- Robot Design Judge
- Core Values Judge
Judges who are typically interested in technical aspects should apply for Innovation Project or Robot Design Judge for our remote events.
Judges who are typically interested in non-technical aspects should apply for Core Values.
Volunteers who are interested and familiar with the RePLAY game and or EV3, NXT or Spike Prime should apply for a referee
- Must be signed up and registered on VIMS
- Attend a virtual pre-event Referee or Judges Training (less than 2 hours)
- Read the Referee or Judge Manual
- Respond and comply to email requests from the PDP
- Interview teams remotely for a live Q&A watch teams submitted videos prior to Q&A
- Referee team remotely and watch 1 robot match teams submit via YouTube Prior to event
- Participate on deliberations to decide team awards recipients and write award scripts
- Judges with a conflict of interest must sign a Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Statement and send to your PDP
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS NEEDED:
FIRST experience not required.
- Must be at least 18 years old at time of service
- Strong assessment skills
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Access to a computer with reliable internet is required; Webcams are preferred
VOLUNTEER TIME COMMITMENT:
- Pre-judging training (less than 2-hour of training video)
- Review teams submitted videos within a week of event
- Judging will take place between March & April
- ~ 8 hours of time commitment spread over several days
Note: The events listed in the volunteer dashboard have dates assigned but that does not mean the judging will take place on those dates. Judges will be notified of their assigned role and will be contacted by a Judge Advisor with details. The judging process will be coordinated by a Judge Advisor once all groups are assigned.
Training is provided by Head Judge and Head Referee for the region prior to the events.. This training will take place via a webinar and will be recorded for those who cannot attend. Referees and Judges will be notified of dates once decided. The Referee and Judge Handbook will be emailed to Judges prior to fulfilling the role.
START A TEAM
FIND AN EVENT