Remote Volunteer Opportunities
FIRST Robotics Competition
JUDGE – Remote Volunteer Opportunity
Judges for FIRST Robotics Competition select team award recipients through interaction with teams remotely and serve as role models for the students.
For the 2021 Season, Judges can volunteer for one or more of the following components:
- Game Design Challenge
- INFINITE RECHARGE at Home
- Innovation Challenge presented by Qualcomm
Judges who are typically interested in technical aspects should apply for Game Design, INFINITE RECHARGE at Home, and/or Innovation Challenge remote events
Judges who are typically interested in non-technical aspects should apply for Game Design and/or Innovation Challenge.
- Attend a virtual pre-event Judge Training (less than 2 hours)
- Read the Judge Manual
- Respond and comply to email requests from the Judge Advisor
- Interview teams remotely
- Participate on Judge Panel to decide team/student awards recipients and write award scripts
- Judges with a conflict of interest must sign a Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Statement and send to your Judge Advisor
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS NEEDED:
FIRST experience not required
- Must be at least 23 years old at time of service (Exceptions may be granted by FIRST HQ)
- Strong assessment skills • Strong critical thinking skills
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Access to a computer with reliable internet is required; Webcams are preferred
VOLUNTEER TIME COMMITMENT:
- Pre-judging training (less than 2-hour of training video)
- Judging will take place between March & April
- ~ 8 hours of time commitment spread over several days
Note: The events listed in the volunteer dashboard have dates assigned but that does not mean the judging will take place on those dates. Judges will be notified of their assigned role and will be contacted by a Judge Advisor with details. The judging process will be coordinated by a Judge Advisor once all groups are assigned.
Training is provided by FIRST HQ prior to judging. This training will take place via a webinar and will be recorded for those who cannot attend. Judges will be notified of dates once decided. The Judge Handbook will be emailed to Judges prior to fulfilling the role.
START A TEAM
FIND AN EVENT